Click here for Tenant Skills videos in American Sign Language, Arabic, Burmese, French, Nepali, Somali, Spanish, and Swahili.
Click here for Finding Housing videos in American Sign Language, Arabic, Burmese, French, Nepali, Somali, Spanish, and Swahili.
Click here for Learn About Your Home videos produced by the Vermont Language Justice Project. These videos are offered in 20 languages and explain the basics of safety and caring for a home.
CVOEO’s Vermont Tenants housing workshops provide information and resources to help find and maintain stable housing.
The Tenant Skills video will help you…
- Prepare for Moving In: Understand your lease, make sure you get your security deposit back, and seek help if you are treated unfairly in your housing search or residence.
- Maintain a Rental: Make sure your privacy is respected, get repairs done, and manage guests.
- Prepare for Moving Out: Provide proper notice to landlord on move out, make sure you get proper notice from the landlord on termination, and prevent eviction.
The Finding Housing video will help you…
- Understand “Affordable Housing”: Definition, types, how to know if you qualify and rent limits, and where to find Vermont affordable housing providers.
- Organize a Housing Search: Develop application materials, identify what you want, know where to look, avoid scams, make calls, and view a property.
- Establish a Positive Tenant-Landlord relationship: Landlord perspectives, the role of a property manager, how to research a landlord, and how to negotiate a lease.
- Work Through Barriers: What to do if you have no rental history, credit challenges, past eviction, criminal background, unfavorable landlord reference, or not enough money for security deposit or first month’s rent.
- Navigate Fair Housing Rights: Discrimination, protections, reasonable modifications and accommodations under disability law, and where to go for help.
Want to know all about your rights and responsibilities as a tenant?
CVOEO's live and on-demand Vermont Tenants housing workshops provide information and resources to help find and maintain housing.
For immediate questions about your tenancy, call the CVOEO Vermont Tenants statewide hotline at (802) 864-0099. Interpretation available on request – please leave a message with your name, phone number, and the language needed.
These videos and related resources are made possible by a grant from the Vermont Agency of Commerce and Community Development, Department of Housing & Community Development and additional support from the City of Burlington’s Community & Economic Development Office.